You’ve packed, you’ve said bye to your friends, and given a big hug to your mum. You’re about to go on the trip of a lifetime. But first, there’s just one little thing that you’ve gotta get through. Yep, you guessed it – the long-haul flight.
Love ’em or hate ’em, here are 18 things you’ll only know if you’ve been on a long-haul flight.
1. You log in to the online check-in ASAP to make sure you don’t end up with a seat in the middle aisle
Ain’t nobody got time for a constant game of musical chairs
2. That feeling of jealousy when you walk through Business Class to Economy Class
Aah look at you all with your extra leg room and your free champagne…
3. The slightly weird atmospheric music that plays when everyone’s finding their seats
Wait. Are we in another dimension? 👀
4. You make use of every single free thing the stewards give you
Blanket? Sure. Travel pillow? Yep. Gardening magazine? I mean, sure, why not.
5. That feeling you get when there’s an EPIC selection of movies on the entertainment system
Question is, how many can you fit into your 12-hour flight?
6. No one’s ever really sure whether it’s socially acceptable to take their shoes off
But you know what, it’s happening. Feet, be free!
7. You get about one hour into the flight and you’re already keen for the first meal
Vacuum-sealed food has never been so exciting
8. But, you play a constant and dangerous game of ‘do I have time to nap before the food arrives?’
Seriously though, wake me up when the food gets here
9. You feel like a VIP when they bring out the lemon-scented wet wipes
Messy hands, begone!
10. No matter what seat you choose you always end up being close to a crying baby
Either that, or someone who wants to talk to you the whole time. Or someone who snores. Or someone who kicks your chair. Or someone who reclines their seat back into your lap. It’s all fun and games, huh?
11. But when you can, you end up becoming a pro at napping in awkward positions
I call this one ‘the reclining cat’
12. Although you’ve got nothing on that one friend who can sleep through the entire journey
Aaah don’t we love to hate them
13. The awkward moment when you’re not sure whether to wake up or climb over your neighbour so you can use the bathroom
Cue all the nervous giggling
14. You know all about that extra bit of space near the bathroom for stretching / walking on the spot
Gotta keep that circulation going!
15. The point in the flight when it becomes totally normal to walk around the plane in your pyjamas
Comfort = key
16. When you’ve watched everything on the system and you resort to watching the flight map for the last hour of the journey
I. Can. Do. This. Almost. There.
17. When you FINALLY hear the pilot announce that you’re descending for landing
PRAISE BE 🙌
18. When you land and you feel you’ve aged about 5 years and could drink 2 litres of water
And your ankles have also doubled in size
Buckle up, lock in your flights and get on the road with Topdeck. You won’t regret it 😉
Want some tips on what not to pack? We’ve got your back.