Transport yourself to a diverse, cultural haven where vibrant souks meet tranquil mosques, the scent of spices lingers in the air and traversing the desert atop a camel is totally the norm.
Ready for a Moroccan adventure? Take note of these 21 truths.
1. Expect tagine. All day. Erryday. And just when you thought you’d had enough tagine? Have some more. This authentic dish cooked in an earthenware pot is offered up for most lunches and dinners and will quickly become a staple in your Moroccan diet.
2. Snake charmers really do exist and you WILL come across them in Jamaâ el Fna in Marrakech. Mind your step.
3. Yes, you will visit a Kasbah. And yes, you should rock it. The song tells us to.
4. You will recognise a tonne of scenes from your favourite films. Think: Gladiator, The Mummy, The Bourne Ultimatum and Inception. And yes, Sex and The City 2 (we won’t judge).
5. Fez hats WILL be purchased and WILL be worn with pride.
6. Sleeping under the stars in the Sahara Desert is as magical as you expect it to be. Just remember to BYO campfire stories and abstract thoughts on the universe.
7. You WILL become emotionally attached to the camel you ride into the desert and WILL give him a name like ‘Humpie’.
8. Bartering for that scarf/handbag/bag of spices in the souks is a skill that will stay with you forever.
9. No filter is needed. Ever.
10. If you’re a female, you WILL be called, “Shakira”, “Britney Spears” and/or, if you’re in a group, the “Spice Girls”. Apparently Western music trends haven’t progressed past the 90s. Embrace it. When else do you get to live out your pop star dreams?
11. Sweet tooths, take note: Mint tea is even more delicious than you think and is offered up by the locals nearly everywhere you go.
12. There are more than 9,000 maze-like streets in the famous Fez Medina, which is harder to navigate than your Uber app on a boozy night out. Stay in the group, people.
13. Argon oil is cheaper in the souks than you will ever find at your local supermarket. Stock up. Immediately.
14. The call to prayer will always be mesmerizing. Even after the gazillionth time you hear it.
15. French will become your second language, just as it is for the Moroccans.
16. You WILL fall in love with everyone you meet. Note: friendliest people on Earth.
17. The Romans got as far as Morocco and left some pretty impressive ruins. Check them out at the Archeological Site of Volubilis.
18. You will never see such beauty as you will find in a Moroccan door. Oh, the detail!
19. It’s totally normal to secretly hope that a genie will appear after rubbing a silver lamp. #Aladdin4Lyf.
20. If you hear a car/motorbike/donkey, always step to the side. All three won’t stop for anyone. Especially the donkey.
21. The sunsets in Morocco are some of the best you’ll see in your entire life, and you WILL walk away with the best travel memories. Ever.
Ready to channel your inner desert queen (or king) and experience the magic of Morocco for yourself? Float your magic carpet over this way to start your trip of a lifetime.